How to Build a Backyard Garden Box
Gardening is a great way to get outside, get some exercise, and enjoy the environment around you. But how do you get started? If you don’t have much space or want something a bit more manageable, a backyard garden box is the way to go. Here’s how to build one.
Before you get started, you’ll need a few materials to create your garden box. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lumber: You’ll need 2-inch by 8-inch boards for the sides, 2-inch by 6-inch boards for the bottom, 2-inch by 4-inch boards for the supports, and 1-inch by 8-inch boards for the trim.
- Screws: You’ll need 2-inch screws for attaching the boards together, and 1-inch screws for attaching the trim.
- Tools: You’ll need a drill, saw, and measuring tape to complete the project.
Construct the Box
Now that you have your materials, it’s time to start building the box. Here’s what to do:
- Measure and cut the 2-inch by 8-inch boards to the desired size of your garden box.
- Using 2-inch screws, attach the 2-inch by 6-inch boards to the inside of the 2-inch by 8-inch boards to form the bottom.
- Attach the 2-inch by 4-inch boards to the sides to form the supports.
- Measure and cut the 1-inch by 8-inch boards for the trim and attach to the sides and bottom of the box with 1-inch screws.
Fill the Box
Now that you have your box constructed, you’ll need to fill it with soil. If you’re using a mix of soil and compost, you’ll want to fill the box to the top. If you’re using just soil, you’ll want to fill it to about 2 inches below the top.
Once you’ve filled the box with soil, it’s time to add your plants. If you’re planting seedlings, you’ll want to dig a small hole in the soil and carefully place each seedling in its own individual hole. If you’re planting from seed, you’ll want to spread out the seeds as evenly as possible and cover them with a thin layer of soil.
Enjoy Your Garden
Now that you’ve built your garden box and filled it with plants, it’s time to enjoy your garden. Make sure to water your plants regularly and fertilize them as needed. If pests become a problem, be sure to take proper measures to eliminate them. With a bit of care and attention, your garden box should be flourishing in no time.
Building a backyard garden box is a simple and affordable way to get started with gardening. With just a few materials and a bit of know-how, you can have your own garden in no time. So get out there, get your hands dirty, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.